The Jacksonville, FL area has a variety of weather pass through from season to season. Those violent spring and summer afternoon thunderstorms often bring about not just lightning, but damaging hail stones, as well. Those of you caught in those storms often have damage to your cars, and, if it passes over your home, it can cause damage to your roof, gutters, siding, driveway, windows, and any other exposed area of your home.
Consider these hail statistics:
1. March through June are typically the worst months for hailstorms, but hailstorms can occur at any time during the year.
2. Hail storms are most frequent in the eastern two-thirds of the United States.
3. The largest hailstorm ever recorded was in southern California with 2.75” hail stones in September of 1960.
4. In July of 2010, Vivian, South Dakota received a hailstorm with the largest hailstones ever recorded at 8” in diameter, weighing in at nearly 2 pounds each.
5. St. Louis, Missouri experienced the costliest hailstorm on record in April of 2001 with claims at over $2 billion. The second highest was also in St. Louis in 2012 with costs totaling $1.6 billion.
6. The most expensive replacement costs as a result of hail damage are roofs, sidewalls, gutters, and vehicles!
Things to know about your Classic Metal Roof in Jacksonville, FL and hail:
1. The warranty of your metal roof in Jacksonville, FL covers damage to the paint finish and leaks occurring as a result of hail (Note: Make sure that during your wait for a roofing contractor to assess damage to your roof, that no interior damage is occurring as a result of the roofing problem).
2. Other roofing systems, including wood shingles or even clay tiles, can soften or become brittle over time making them much more vulnerable to weather, including hail. A metal roof in Jacksonville, FL is just as hail-resistant the day it is installed as it is decades later!
3. Metal Roofing systems are designed with deep texturing in order to mask minor indentations and imperfections caused by hail storms. Other types of metal roofing systems do not have this design and can leave you as an owner feeling less than enthusiastic about the new “indented” look of your home. (Note: You can decide during the installation of your metal roof to put in foam backers underneath the roof, increasing durability during storms).
4. Classic Metal Roofs have a UL Class IV Impact Resistance Rating. This means that your metal roofing system in Jacksonville will have the highest rating that is given to any roof. Because of this rating, you are eligible for discounts (Note: Keep in mind that reducing your premium may waive any claim you wish to gain because of damage to your roof).
Despite the staggering hail statistics for the eastern portion of the country and the fact that 2013 was a particularly active hail season, your best protection is having a roof that is not brittle, soft, or decaying as a result of wear from years of weather exposure.