Preparing the Outside of Your Home
- Start preparing the outside of your home by removing any old roofing debris, gardening equipment, potted plants, or patio furniture that might be lying around. A professional roofing contractor is going to protect your lawn with tarps, but you will want to ensure that every item is protected.
- Outdoor electrical outlets should be checked to ensure that they are working properly. Power tools will often be needed to cut and size wooden decking sheets.
- Once your new roof has been installed, make sure that the roofing contractor you have hired uses a magnetic roller to pick up the 10,000 or so stray nails that are going to have fallen in your yard. This is standard practice for most professional roofing contractors, but you don’t want to allow a contractor to cut corners where they shouldn’t.
Preparing the Inside of Your Home
- You can begin preparing the interior of your home by removing loose items from the walls of your house. This includes removable shelving, pictures, and plates and figurines. The hammering that goes on during the installation process will create vibrations that could potentially vibrate your walls, and you don’t want to run the risk of something falling off the wall and accidentally breaking.
- Be prepared for dust to fall in your attic during the installation process. If decking sheets need to be replaced too, then wood chips could also fall in your attic. Make sure to cover your valuable items with plastic sheeting to protect them.
- Make sure to carefully search for any hidden lines that may exist in your attic, such as electrical or telephone lines. It would be an expensive mistake to make if one of these lines were to be accidentally punctured during the installation process, and in most instances, it is the responsibility of the homeowner to notify their roofing contractor of any existing lines.
With these tips, AJ Wells Roofing Contractors hope to make the roofing installation process a pleasant one for their clients. From new roof installations to annual maintenance, these experienced professionals pledge to be with you each step of the way.